Saturday, October 11, 2008

Food

Hey! First of all, it's been a while since I posted due to my laptop being likely somehow sensitive to foreign voltages. The monitor hasn't been working, so I've only just purchased a new external monitor. But that's another (month-long) story.

Today I'm here to tell you about my colorful adventures in the world of food.

As you may or may not know, Japan has different foods from those in the USA. I was well aware of this fact before departing, but I had no idea (outside of seafood) exactly what was different. What would I find in a little countryside スパー (supaa or supermarket)? What would I not find?

My first week was a pretty cautious one. I could have spent hours in those three aisles, slowly and audibly reading the katakana script, but instead I opted for fruits and vegetables, which are readily recognizable, and noodles. I ate a lot of Italian pasta with onions, garlic, and mushrooms.

Adventure Number One: ika shoga yaki (ginger Cthulu)
Recipe from Recipe Zaar

squid

This one was fun, because I got to dismantle a squid, which I had never done before. I got two squid at the market for about 200 yen. There are some handy instructions online for taking apart a squid. Suffice it to say, they are some slippery guys and it took a while to get the skin off. The end result was not bad, though it was recommended to try the same with pork, which is much tastier. Squid doesn't really offer much in terms of taste; it's pretty plain.


Adventure Number Two: Chicken, soumen noodles, and onion
Recipe from some TV show.

Photobucket

Wish I could remember just got to make this 'cause it was tasty! Slice the chicken, dip it in some egg, and roll it around in some flour. Throw it in a pan and indiscriminately toss in enough water and mirin to let it boil and make some tasty tasty gravy. The chicken turns out delicious and moist. Chop up some spring onions or whatever they're called.

I know. This isn't very helpful, is it?

Adventure Number Three: goya (bitter melon)
Recipe: none

Photobucket

I had never seen goya (bumpy green with a yellow inside and red seeds) before. A neighbor of the school brought in some eggplant, peppers, and goya, and some were given to me. I asked what I should do with it and tempura was suggested. It makes an okay tempura, though it's not the best. Chop up, soak in egg, dip in flakes, toss (carefully) into pot of oil and quickly take it out with a pair of chopsticks without dripping any oil on your bare feet (your feet are bare because your socks were feeling tight and your slippers are alllll the way over in the other room and this is a good idea because why?).

Goya tastes a bit crisp and peppery and is okay in small amounts, but after a while you realize why it's called bitter melon. (Because it's bitter.) I hear if you soak it in lime the bitterness goes away.

That's all for now! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Mae said...

Remeber how we would sometimes go to Becki's place and cook? I wish we could all cook together again...

Joslyn said...

Those were always such delicious meals! I miss her balcony with the sycamore and magpies.