Sunday, October 12, 2008

Arthropods!

Japan is a land of many, many things with exoskeletons. When I first got to my house one of my tasks was to go through all the cabinets and see what past ALTs had left. I found a veritable arsenal of insecticides and traps in one cabinet. I had heard stories of fierce mukade (centipedes) that roam the countryside, looking for innocent JETs to terrorize. It seemed that my house would be the battlefield on which I met the horrible, hundred-foot foe.

First Encounter: a rainy day

It was raining, but the house was muggy and I wanted to let some cool air in. I let in more than that. I walked into my eight-tatami room to find a mukade on the inside of the screen. I got some spray and hot water to back me up and then swept it outside. It was pretty long, but not all that terrifying. Only half as big as I thought it would be.

Before you get the impression that I go through my house spraying every thing that moves, know this: mukade are venomous and it's recommended that you go to the nearest hospital or clinic if bitten. While not deadly (to most), it's rather painful. I do have a rather Wizard Howl-like appreciation for the spiders in my house (and they're kind enough to stay out of my blankets).

Second Encounter: the futon

I've gone through spells of sleeping on the futon on the floor and sleeping on the bed. I had another encounter with a geji geji, a smaller centipede that isn't nearly as venomous earlier, which moved me from the futon to the bed. But after a while I was back to my comfy comfy futon.

One night, around 3AM, a mukade crawled across my face. Thankfully, my little prehistoric critter brain clicked on and knew what to do; pick it off my cheek, throw it down, jump up, turn on the light, wait for eyes to adjust, find it, and kill it. I was pretty buzzed on adrenaline and didn't sleep well the rest of the night.

The next week I was gifted with some insecticides (er, arthropodicides) from a JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Future and current JETs: you have been warned.

But now for some neat bugs!

Photobucket
A cicada. On a hot day your eardrums almost burst because these guys sing so loudly! They're called semi or セミ in Japanese.


Photobucket
A hitchhiker! This guy is green, but I've seen dark and light brown praying mantises as well.

Photobucket
Over the course of a week two of these caterpillars ate the vine outside of my kitchen window. I wonder if these guys turn into the giant black and blue butterflies I've seen (unfortunately difficult to capture with my camera).

Photobucket
I was biking along the Kakogawa River when I saw the sidewalk covered in these little guys.

Photobucket
Looks like some sort of long-horned grasshopper, but don't quote me on that.

Photobucket
I passed this spider everyday on my way to work. She's got real gorgeous, bright markings. The spiders here are huge. You can see them in their webs on the telephone wires from your car.

That's all for now! I wish I had some pictures of the Asian Giant Hornets I've seen, but alas! I usually run from those (two inches long and venomous) before thinking of taking out my camera.

No comments: