Sunday, March 22, 2009

Amazing Adventures in Aogaki!

Yes, that's right, dear readers! Saturday I snubbed my sickly symptoms and struck out on my one-speed steed to soak in the sun and surroundings.

Photobucket

Sakura and sugi are just some of the symbols of spring in this Land of the Sun. Sakura summon the sights and sounds of sloshed salarymen sipping Sapporo, sake, and shochu under a snowfall of petals. Sadly, sugi seasonally send scores of sufferers into spasms of sneezes, their schnozes veritable spouts of snot, eyes shedding salty tears.

(I hope at this point you're as impressed with my prose as I am!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I walked along the river for a while in the hopes of catching sight of something new. And I did! More flowers that my guides fail to cover. I guess Aogaki offers more than can be covered in two guides.

Photobucket

This little Buddhist shrine is nestled half-way up a small hill.

Photobucket

Each day Buddah looks down on the little town of Aogaki and wonders if it will ever be more than a two-convenience store village.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm sure there's an art to catching birds on film (or in pixels). Something tells me there's a lot of waiting and chance involved. Perhaps some camouflage as well. I usually end up scaring birds away before I am able to spot them. Usually they taunt me with their frilly calls.

"I'm here, I'm here!"
"I hear you, but I can't see you."
"Now I'm over here! Over here!"
"You're getting farther away."
"Over here, over here!"
"That's all well and good, but I have other things to do..."
"Over here, over here!"
"I'm pedaling away. You are such a tease."

Photobucket

There were two of these keri or grey-headed lapwings in a rice field. Finally something that guide can i.d.

It was two hours well used.

3 comments:

Rachel Rausch Johnson said...

well, at least you had a camera for the bird. if you didn't, it wouldn't have run away from you.

Jos said...

All of my sightings happen when I have no camera on hand. And of course, the birds stick around much longer when that's the case.

Anonymous said...

The keri looks like what we call a Kildeer Plover here.

http://www.barhorst.org/gallery/Ohio_Birds/kildeer